India has announced a 17-player squad for the pivotal final three Test matches of the 5-match series against England. The series currently stands at 1-1 after India’s thumping 106-run win in the 2nd Test at Vizag.
- Virat Kohli has made himself unavailable for the remainder of the series due to personal reasons. His batting will be sorely missed in the middle order.
- The participation of KL Rahul and Ravindra Jadeja is subject to fitness clearance from the medical team. Rahul missed the 2nd Test with a quadricep injury while Jadeja suffered a hamstring strain on day 4 in Vizag. Both are integral members of the Test side.
- Seamer Akash Deep receives a maiden Test call-up on the back of strong domestic performances. The Bengal pacer could make his debut in the day-night Test in Ranchi.
- Shreyas Iyer complained of back stiffness during the second Test and has now been ruled out of the remainder of the series considering he has already had issues with his back in the last 12 months.
- Rohit Sharma continues to lead the side with Jasprit Bumrah as his deputy. Bumrah is now the top-ranked Test bowler after 15 wickets in Vizag and Hyderabad.
The Squad for remeaning 3 test matches:
Rohit Sharma (C), Jasprit Bumrah (VC), KL Rahul*, Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Rajat Patidar, Sarfaraz Khan, KS Bharat (WK), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja*, Axar Patel, Washington Sundar, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Akash Deep
- India looking to build on the momentum from Vizag’s win
- Middle-order fragility is still a concern
- Akash Deep wildcard pick
- Series poised tantalisingly at 1-1
- Bumrah leading the bowling attack
- Kohli’s absence is a big blow
The 3rd Test begins on February 15th in Rajkot. India will be hoping their strong bench strength can help them clinch the series.